DEFENCE FOI 707/22/23
STATEMENT OF REASONS UNDER THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT
1. I refer to the request by Mr Paul Morgan (the applicant), dated and received on 28 May
2023 by the Department of Defence (Defence), for access to the following documents
under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Cth) (FOI Act):
“a copy of the Complaints and Resolutions Manual to assist an ADF member with an
FOI decision maker
2. I am the authorised officer pursuant to section 23 of the FOI Act to make a decision on
this FOI request.
3. I identified one document as matching the description of the request. Decision
4. I have decided to release one document in full. Material taken into account
5. In making my decision, I had regard to:
a. the terms of the request;
b. the content of the identified documents in issue;
c. relevant provisions in the FOI Act; and
d. the Guidelines published by the Office of the Australian Information
Commissioner under section 93A of the FOI Act (the Guidelines).
Reasons for decision
6. In assessing whether disclosure is in the public interest, I considered the Freedom of
Information Guidelines and the provisions of the FOI Act, in particular the Objects of
the FOI Act, which provide a right to obtain access to government documents.
7. I am satisfied that providing access to the document requested falls within the rationale
of the FOI Act.
Digitally signed by
Date: 2023.05.24 16:20:31
Accredited Decision Maker
Defence People Group
Department of Defence