This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Reliance Framework - MS Access database describing labels on Commonwealth forms'.

You can lodge your application in writing through 
Freedom of Information 
one of the contact details provided at the end of 
– Your Review Rights 
this attachment. 
If you disagree with the decision made by the 
Review by the Australian Information 
Department of Finance (Finance) under the 
Commissioner (IC) 
Freedom of Information Act 1982 (the FOI Act), 
The IC is an independent office holder who can 
you can ask for the decision to be reviewed.  You 
review the decisions of agencies and ministers 
may want to seek review if you sought certain 
under the FOI Act.  The IC can review access 
documents and were not given ful  access, if you 
refusal decisions (s 54L(2)(a) of the FOI Act), 
have been informed that there will be a charge 
access grant decisions (s 54M(2)(a)), refusals to 
for processing your request, if you have made a 
extend the period for applying for internal review 
contention against the release of documents that 
under s 54B (s 54L(2)(c)), and agency internal 
has not be agreed to by the Department, or if 
review decisions under s 54C (ss 54L(2)(b) and 
your application to have your personal 
information amended was not accepted.  There 
are two ways you can ask for review of a 
If you are objecting to a decision to refuse access 
decision: internal review by Finance, or external 
to documents, impose a charge or refuse to 
review by the Australian Information 
amend a document, you must apply to the IC 
within 60 days of being given notice of the 
decision.  If you are objecting to a decision to 
Internal Review 
grant access to another person, you must apply 
If Finance makes an FOI decision that you 
within 30 days of being notified of that decision. 
disagree with, you can ask Finance to review its 
decision.  The review will be carried out by a 
Do I have to go through Finance’s internal 
different agency officer, usually someone at a 
review process first? 
more senior level.  There is no charge for internal 
No.  You may apply directly to the IC.  However, 
going through Finance’s internal review process 
You must apply within 30 days of being notified 
gives Finance the opportunity to reconsider its 
of the decision, unless Finance agrees to extend 
initial decision, and your needs may be met more 
the application time.  You should contact Finance 
quickly without undergoing an external review 
if you wish to seek an extension. 
Finance is required to make a review decision 
within 30 days.  If Finance does not do so, the 
Do I have to pay? 
original decision is considered to be affirmed. 
No.  Review by the IC is currently free.
How to apply for internal review 
You must apply in writing and should include a 
copy of the notice of the decision provided and 
the points you are objecting and why. 

How do I apply? 
complaint, then they are to transfer all relevant 
You must apply for IC review in writing and you 
documents and information to the IC. 
can lodge your application in one of the following 
The IC can also transfer a complaint to the 
Post:  Office of the Australian Information 
Ombudsman where appropriate.  This could 
occur where the FOI complaint is only one part of 
GPO Box 5218 
a wider grievance about an agency’s actions.  It is 
SYDNEY   NSW   2001 
unlikely that this will be common.  You will be 
Email:  [email address] 
notified in writing if your complaint is 
02 9284 9666 
In person: 
Level 3 
175 Pitt Street 
Applications to the Ombudsman should be 
SYDNEY   NSW   2000 
directed to the fol owing address: 
An electronic application form is also available on 
Post:  Commonwealth Ombudsman 
the OAIC’s website (  Your 
PO Box 442 
application should include a copy of the notice of 
CANBERRA   ACT   2601 
the decision that you are objecting to (if one was 
Phone: 02 6276 0111 
provided), and your contact details.  You should 
1300 362 072 
also set out why you are objecting to the 
Finance FOI contact details 
FOI Coordinator 
Making a complaint 
Legal Services Branch 
You may make a written complaint to the IC 
Department of Finance 
about actions taken by Finance in relation to your 
John Gorton Building 
application.  However, if you are complaining that 
King Edward Terrace 
a Finance decision is wrong, it is treated as an 
PARKES   ACT   2600 
application for review. 
Phone:  02 6215 1783 
Email:  [Finance request email] 
When can I go to the Administrative Appeals 
Tribunal (AAT)? 
Under the FOI Act, you must seek external review 
through the IC prior to applying to the AAT for 
such a review.  The fee for lodging an AAT 
application is $861, although there are 
exemptions for health care and pension 
concession card holders and the AAT can waive 
the fee on financial hardship grounds. 
Investigation by the Ombudsman 
The Commonwealth Ombudsman can also 
investigate complaints about action taken by 
agencies under the FOI Act.  However, if the issue 
complained about either could be or has been 
investigated by the IC, the Ombudsman wil  
consult the Commissioner to avoid the same 
matter being investigated twice.  If the 
Ombudsman decides not to investigate the