Our ref: CMTEDD 24/16-17
Mr Stephen Esdaile
[FOI #2290 email]
Dear Mr Esdaile
Freedom of Information Request – Compulsory Third Party
I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your request submitted under section 14 of the
ACT Freedom of Information Act 1989,
addressed to Access Canberra and received by
the Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate (CMTEDD) on
26 September 2016.
In your request you are specifically seeking the fol owing (in relation to “the Compulsory
Third Party scheme for vehicle insurance in the ACT
• The number of successful claims over the past ten years.
• The number of successful claims made where the at-fault party was a motorcycle
• The average cost of a successful claim.
• The average cost of a successful claim where the at-fault party was a motorcycle
• The ongoing annual liability for existing claims.
• The ongoing annual liability for existing claims where the at-fault party was a
• The total annual liability for CTP claims.
• The total annual liability for CTP claims where the at fault party was a motorcycle
CMTEDD is required to provide you with a decision on access to documents within the
terms of the request within 30 days after the date the request was received, unless an
extension of time has been negotiated with you. The due date for a decision on your
request is 26 October 2016.
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development
GPO Box 158 Canberra ACT 2601 | phone: 132281 | www.act.gov.au
Processing charges may be payable in relation to time spent in searching for and
retrieving relevant documents, decision-making time, supervising document inspection
and photocopying. In the event the decision-maker decides that you are liable to pay a
charge, in accordance with Freedom of Information (Fees) Determination 2016
, you will
be notified of the preliminary assessment of the charge and have full opportunity to
contend that the charge should not be imposed or should be reduced.
Online Freedom of Information (FOI) Policy
Please be aware that under the ACT Government’s Online FOI Publication Policy,
information released to you in response to your FOI request may be released on the
internet. The policy, with details about what information may be published on the
internet, is available at
Personal information or business affairs information will not be made available under
In the meantime, if you have any queries concerning this Directorate’s processing of
your request, or would like further information, please email [email address].
10 October 2016