This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'WhatsApp messages'.

Our reference: RQ19/00140 
Agency reference: CRM2019/332 
Mr Jackson Gothe-Snape 
Sent by email: 
Extension of time under s 15AB 
Dear Mr Gothe-Snape 
On 9 January 2019, the Australian Federal Police (the AFP) applied for further time to make a 
decision on your FOI request of 12 December 2018. 
This application was on the basis that the processing period is insufficient to deal adequately 
with your request, because it is complex. 
As a delegate of the Information Commissioner, I am authorised to make decisions on 
applications for extensions of time under s 15AB of the FOI Act. I have decided to grant the 
AFP an extension of time under s 15AB(2) of the FOI Act to 10 February 2019.  
By granting an extension of time it is anticipated that the AFP will provide a well-reasoned 
and better managed decision.  
If you have any questions about this email, please contact me on 02 9284 9745 or via email In all correspondence please include OAIC reference number 
Yours sincerely 
Carl English 
Assistant Review and Investigation Officer 
Freedom of Information 
10 January 2019 
1300 363 992 
T +61 2 9284 9749 
GPO Box 5218 
F +61 2 9284 9666 
Sydney NSW 2001 
ABN 85 249 230 937 

Review rights 
If you disagree with the OAIC’s decision you can apply to the Federal Court of 
Australia or the Federal Circuit Court for a review of a decision of the Information 
Commissioner if you think that a decision by the Information Commissioner to grant 
an extension of time is not legally correct. You can make this application under the 
Administrative Decisions (Judicial Review) Act 1977. 
The Court will not review the merits of your case but it may refer the matter back to 
the Information Commissioner for further consideration if it finds the decision was 
wrong in law or the Information Commissioner’s powers were not exercised properly. 
An application for review must be made to the Court within 28 days of the OAIC 
sending the decision to you. You may wish to seek legal advice as the process can 
involve fees and costs. Please contact the Federal Court registry in your state or 
territory for more information, or visit the Federal Court website at