This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Council works undertaken on sewer / drainage along rear of my property from 2011 to 2021'.

Object of the Freedom of Information Act 1982  
The object of this Act is to extend as far as possible the right of the community to access to information in 
the possession of the Government of Victoria and other bodies constituted under the law of Victoria for 
certain public purposes by –  
(a)   making available to the public information about the operations of agencies and, in particular, 
ensuring that rules and practices affecting members of the public in their dealings with agencies 
are readily available to persons affected by those rules and practices: and  
(b)  creating a general right of access to information in documentary form in the possession of 
Ministers and agencies limited only by exceptions and exemptions necessary for the protection of 
essential public intrests and the private and business affairs of persons in respect of whom 
information is collected and held by agencies.    
What type of information is available? 
You have the right to apply for access to documents which are held by a Council covered by the Freedom 
of Information Act 1982
.  This applies to both documents created by Council as well as those supplied to 
the Council by an external organisation or individual. The type of documents which you can apply for 
access to are: 
•  Those relating to your own personal affairs, regardless of the age of the documents, and 
•  Documents held by a Council which were created on or after 1 January 1989
(Refer to Division 5 Section 67 (2) (4) of the Freedom of Information Act 1982
It is not only documents in paper form that are accessible. The term ‘documents’ covers a broad range of 
media including maps, films, microfiche, photographs, computer printouts, tape recordings and video 
tapes, electronic media. You may apply to the Council for a copy of the document, or you may request 
access to the document.   
Is there any information held by Council not available? 
Not all information is automatically made available in response to a request for it. 
The Freedom of Information Act sets out a number of situations in which a Council may refuse a person 
access to the documents  he or she has requested. The main situations are requests for documents which 
affect the personal affairs of another person; which are commercially confidential; which would undermine 
law enforcement; or which contain information supplied in confidence. ‘Personal; Affairs’ also includes the 
name and/or address of somebody who is not the applicant. For example, where an applicant may wish to 
know the name and adress of a complainant, this may be considered to be exempt material under Section 
33 of the Act.   
Who makes the decision? 
The initial decision on any request is made by Council’s Freedom of Information Officer. If you do not 
agree with a decision made by the officer, a request can be made to the Victorian Information 
Commissioner to have that decision reviewed. 

How long does it take? 
Once Council receives a valid request and the fee is paid (or waived), it must respond in writing within 30  
days outlining its decision. If the Council refuses you access to the documents you sought, you can appeal 
to the Victorian Information Commissioner for a review but you must do this within 28 days of receiving the 
decision, your appeal should be addressed to: 
Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner                                                                                        
PO Box 24274, Melbourne Vic 3001                                                                                                       
Phone: 1300 842 364                                                                                                                                     
How do I request information from the City of Darebin? 
These are the steps you need to take: 
1.  Before lodging your request, it is recommended you contact Council’s FOI Officer; on 03 8470 8888 and 
discuss what you are asking for. If after your discussion an FOI request is required, you will be advised as 
to where on Council’s website you can downlooad the application form and information sheet, or Council 
can email you the application form. 
2.  The application must be made in writing to allow staff time to process your application, as what you are 
asking may not be readily available. For this reason, you cannot contact Council and expect to see 
documents immediately. You must send or deliver an application and wait for Council to write back to you. 
Your application should state very clearly the specific information that you are requesting. 
Some of the material you are asking for may require considerable research, or may be held at a location 
other than the Civic Centre. This is why it is necessary that yiu are very specific as staff need to know what 
you are asking for to ensure thay assemble it all. For example, if you ask for A and B and this is found, 
then you realise you meant to ask for C and D, it will be necessary to start with a new application. Careful 
consideration needs to be given at the start to ensure that the application you are lodging covers 
everything that you require.    
3.  If your request relates to your personal information, you may be required to provide identification for 
verification. If your request relates to someone elses personal information their signed  written consent, and 
their identification may also be required for verification. 
4.  After completing your application it can be sent to Council,with the $30.10 fee.     
Fees and Charges (effective 1 July 2021): 
The application fee of $30.10 must be enclosed with the completed FOI Application Form. If the fee is not 
received with the application, the FOI Officer will contact you for payment and the 30 day period will not 
commence until both the fee and application are received. There is a provision in the Act for waiver of the fee 
on the grounds of hardship and using this provision, sighting of a Commonwealth Pension or Commonwealth 
Health Card would be necessary. 
The Council may also charge access costs as stipulated below. 
Search and retrieval charges - $22.50 per hour or part of an hour                                                        
Supervision charges - $22.50 per hour (to be calculated per quarter hour or part of a quarter hour) 
Photocopying charges - 
•  A0 = $3.20 – (per colour or black & white page)  
•  A1 = $1.60 – (per colour or black & white page)  
•  A2 = 80 cents – (per colour or black & white page)  
•  A3 = 40 cents – (per colour or black & white page)  
•  A4 = 20 cents – (per colour or black & white page)  
 (Please note that copies of plans may not be able to be provided due to copyright restrictions). 
Where it is anticipated that the costs will exceed $50.00 you will be advised, and requested to submit a deposit 
and asked if you wish to continue with the request.