This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Peter L Lewis dob 21/3/51 inpatient stay Prince.Henry Hospital Malabar Mental Unit 1967'.

Fact Sheet 
Updated November 2019 
Accessing your health information in NSW   
Under the NSW Health Records and Information 
•  A larger-sized organisation with a turnover of over 
Privacy Act 2002 (HRIP Act), you have a right to 
$3 million that holds health information – e.g. 
access health information about you from NSW 
insurance company. 
health service providers, public sector agencies 
and some private sector organisations that hold 
Who should I contact if I want to 
health information.*  
access my personal or health 
What is health information? 
If you want to access your own health or personal 
Health information is a specific type of ‘personal 
information, you should contact the holder of the 
information’ which may include information about your 
information first and ask them how you can do this. This 
physical or mental health or disability. It includes: 
may be the Privacy Officer at the organisation 
concerned. Their details should be on the organisation’s 
•  Personal information you provide to any health 
website. In a NSW public hospital, requests to access 
health information should be sent to the Medical Records 
•  A health service already provided to you 
•  A health service that is going to be provided to you 
•  A health service you have asked to be provided to 
If you need further information you can also contact us. 
•  Some personal information for organ donation 
How much does it cost and how long 
•  Some genetic information about you, your relatives 
should it take to access my health 
or your descendants. 
What is the HRIP Act? 
If you ask for your health or personal information under 
The HRIP Act: 
the HRIP Act it may be free or there may be a charge. 
When information is provided to you it should be done 
•  Protects your privacy rights in NSW by making sure 
without undue delay or excessive costs. 
that your personal and health information is properly 
collected, stored, used or released via the Health 
If you want to access your own health information, you 
Privacy Principles (HPPs) 
should contact the holder of the information first and ask 
•  Gives you the right to see and ask for changes to be 
them how you can do this. 
made to your personal or health information 
•  Al ows you to make a complaint to the NSW Privacy 
There may be other important considerations beyond 
Commissioner if you believe a NSW public sector 
costs and processing times, such as your review rights, 
agency, private sector health organisation or health 
what form of access you want (e.g. view, copy) and 
service provider has misused your personal or 
whether other information is involved (e.g. information 
health information or breached one of the HPPs. 
about a third party). 
The HRIP Act applies to: 
What can I do if I don’t get access? 
•  NSW public sector agencies, including local councils 
If you believe a NSW public sector agency or private 
and universities 
organisation has not given access to your health 
•  Public and private sector health organisations – e.g. 
a private or public hospital or medical centre 
•  If it is a NSW public sector agency, you may be able 
•  Health service providers – e.g. your GP, dentist, 
to ask for an internal review. If you are not happy 
therapist, physiotherapist, chiropractor, optometrist 
with the result, you have 28 days to apply to the 
NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) for a 
review of the decision. 
Information and Privacy Commission NSW 
1  |  1800 IPC NSW (1800 472 679) 

Accessing your health information in NSW 
Fact Sheet 
•  If it is a private sector organisation or individual 
health service provider, you can complain to the 
NSW Privacy Commissioner. If you are not happy 
with the result and, if the Privacy Commissioner has 
written a report, you have 28 days to apply to NCAT 
for a review of the decision, unless the Privacy 
Commissioner’s report states otherwise. 
See our guides to accessing health information from 
public sector and private sector health service 
providers over the page.  
Access to health records must be requested by the 
individual to whom the records relate or an authorised 
person for access on their behalf – S26(2). 
For more information 
Contact the Information and Privacy Commission NSW 
1800 472 679 
Information and Privacy Commission NSW 
2  |  1800 IPC NSW (1800 472 679) 

Accessing your health information in NSW 
Fact Sheet 
Accessing your health information under the HRIP Act from a 
NSW public sector agency (e.g. public hospital, community 
  Put your request in writing (optional) 
Information provided. Process is complete. 
  to the agency that holds you r health 
information. Include your: 
• Name 
• Address 
• Information not provided OR 
• Date of birth (optional) 
• No response provided within an 
• Format you wish to access the 
acceptable timeframe (e.g. 28 days) or 
explanation for the delay. 
• Lodge an application for an internal review with the organisation (within six months). This is an internal 
investigation to assess if the agency has complied with its privacy obligations. The agency has to advise and 
consult with the NSW Privacy Commissioner. The review should be done in 60 days (if practicable). There is 
no fee. 
• The agency may have a specific form for you to fil  in. Check their website or contact the Privacy Contact 
Officer in the agency. 
• If not, there’s a generic form on our website – – complete the form and send it to the 
agency receiving the application. 
The agency wil  commence an internal review. This should be completed within 60 days of receiving the 
application and you wil  be kept informed of the progress during the review. The agency should complete the review 
as soon as reasonably practicable. 
After the review: 
You wil  be informed in writing of the result of the agency’s review. The agency must inform the NSW Privacy 

Commissioner. Depending on the findings, the agency may: 
• Make a formal apology 
• Take remedial action (e.g. they provide access) 
• Make assurances that it won’t happen again 
• Make administrative changes to ensure it won’t happen again 
• Take no further action. 
If you are unhappy with the result of the review (or it is not completed in 60 days) you have 28 days* to 
apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) for a review of the decision to provide access. 
NCAT’s decision is enforceable and they may order the agency to provide access, change its practices, apologise 
or take steps to remedy any damage. 
* Refer to Rule 24 of the Civil and Administrative Tribunal Rules 2014. 
Information and Privacy Commission NSW 
3  |  1800 IPC NSW (1800 472 679) 

Accessing your health information in NSW 
Fact Sheet 
Accessing your health information under the HRIP Act from a 
NSW private sector health service provider (e.g. dentist, GP, 
private hospital) and larger-sized organisations with a 
turnover of over $3 million that holds health information (e.g. 
insurance companies)* 

Put your request in writing (optional) 
Information provided. Process is complete. 
to the organisation that holds your 
health information. Include your: 
•  Name 
• Information not provided OR  
•  Address 
• No response within 45 days OR  
•  Date of birth (optional) 
• Refuse to provide in ful  OR  
•  Format you wish to access the 
• Refuse to provide in requested format 
Write to the NSW Privacy Commissioner. Include a copy of the correspondence to the private sector organisation 
or health service provider requesting access to your health information.  
The NSW Privacy Commissioner wil  assess and decide whether to handle your complaint. If the Privacy 
Commissioner accepts your complaint and attemps to resolve it, this is usually done through the following 
Resolution: This is final and 
Report on findings: This 
Conciliation: This is final 
completes the process. 
provides you with the 
and completes the process. 
opportunity for further review 
by the NSW Civil and 
Administrative Tribunal 
If you are unhappy with the result, and only if the Privacy Commissioner has written a report, you have 28 
days to apply to NCAT for a review of the decision to provide access, unless the Privacy Commissioner’s 
report states otherwise. NCAT’s decision is enforceable and they may order the organisation to provide access, 
change its practices, apologise or take steps to remedy any damage. 
NOTE: The information in this fact sheet is to be used as a guide only. 
Legal advice should be sought in relation to individual circumstances. 
* You may have a right to access your health information from a private sector health service provider organisation 
under the federal Privacy Act 1988 – visit for more information. 
Information and Privacy Commission NSW 
4  |  1800 IPC NSW (1800 472 679) 

Document Outline