6 June 2017
United Kingdom Reciprocal Health
Care Agreement for 405 and 410
retirement visa holders
This information is to help 405 and 410 retirement visa holders in Australia to determine if
the Australia-United Kingdom (UK) Reciprocal Health Care Agreement applies to them.
Your eligibility is assessed on several factors. The RHCA applies to visa holders who are both:
• residents of the United Kingdom, and
, temporarily in Australia - that is, in Australia but not normally a resident
A person is normally a resident if they regularly five in Australia. If you're normally a resident in
Australia you aren't eligible under the RHCA. You may be eligible under the RHCA if the
following criteria applies.
Criterion 1 - proof of residence in the
To prove residence in the UK you need to provide 1 or more of the following:
• a current UK passport - includes passports issued in the lsl.e of Man, Jersey or Guernsey
• a National Health Service Medical Card - Great Britain and the Isle of Man
• a Health Service Medical Card - Northern Ireland
• a certificate issued by the Social Security Committee of the States of Jersey
• proof of insurance issued by the Guernsey States Insurance Authority or other proof of
residence in the Bailiwick of Guernsey, or
• a European Health Insurance Card with initials UK
If you can't prove your residence in the UK, you are not eligible under the RHCA.
If you have met the requirements. of this criterion, we need to determine whether you're
normally a resident in Australia.