Dear Territory And Municipal Services Directorate - ACT,
On 31 January 2014, Libraries ACT Director issued a press release announcing new Fines policy across libraries in the ACT. This new policy came into effect on 1 March 2014. I am requesting information on matters surrounding this new policy:
1) Was this decision based on a published study, statistical information or other peer-reviewed information? If so, could you please provide a summary document that collates such information, and also the document and underlying evidence that recommends to the ACT Government that the new policy take effect.
2) Review of this policy: When will this new policy be reviewed, if at all? Please provide a document that outlines the strategic plan on re-evaluation of this new policy.
3) Are you in possession of information relating to the effects that an enhanced fines policy has had on participation by the public in the Library system in non-ACT libraries? If so, please provide any summary document you have.
4) Please provide information relating to the effect this new policy is having in the ACT. This information can be in the form of internal communication within the library system, and communication provided to Government departments, agencies and functionaries within the ACT Government.
5) Please provide documents relating to overall fines collected by the library system in the last 2 years, preferably one year before and one year after the new policy took effect.
ps: I am concerned that the new policy (enhanced fines in particular) might have possibly reduced overall library usage, and that this might eventually lead to Government reducing budget and resources to the library system due to this reduced participation by citizens in the public library system. It also appears that some jurisdictions in other parts of the world use fines as a source of revenue.
Your e-mail request has been received and will be actioned in due course.
FOI COORDINATOR - GOVERNMENT BUSINESS - TERRITORY AND MUNICIPAL SERVICES
DIRECTORATE - Tel (02) 6205 5408 - Email [ACT-TAMS request email]
Dear Flynn Flan
Thank you for your email. To apply for access to Territory and Municipal Services information please complete the Freedom of Information application form attached. When your form has been completed please send to [ACT-TAMS request email] for processing.
You may also find the fact sheet on the Territory and Municipal Services website on Access to Information useful at http://www.tams.act.gov.au/about-us/free....
For general enquires or to report an incident please contact Access Canberra 132281.
If you need further clarification on this matter please contact me on 6205 5408.
FOI OFFICER|LEGISLATION AND LEGAL SERVICES
GOVERNANCE |CORPORATE AND BUSINESS ENTERPRISES
TERRITORY AND MUNICIPAL SERVICES DIRECTORATE| ACT GOVERNMENT
PH: +61 2 6205 5408 | FAX: +61 2 6205 5721 |