Medical Marijuana

Daniel Franze made this Freedom of Information request to National Health and Medical Research Council

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was partially successful.

Dear National Health and Medical Research Council,

Does Australia have any kind of medical marijuana program?

If yes how do you become a licensed medical marijuana grower/dispensor?

Yours faithfully,

Daniel Franze

NHMRC FOI, National Health and Medical Research Council


Dear Mr Franze

NHMRC funds health and medical research and provides no programs of the sort you have described. I believe that the control of medical marijuana programs would be the responsibility of States and Territories and you may need to seek information from those governments. You can find out more about NHMRC from our website

You may wish to note that there are specific requirements for making a request under the Freedom of Information Act which have not been met in your email.

You might wish to consider those if you want to make FOI requests in future. However, where NHMRC can answer a question without reference to the FOI Act, we are pleased to do so.

Yours sincerely
Claire Pitham
A/g Executive Director
Business Support Branch
National Health & Medical Research Council

p : 02 6217 9321 | f : 02 6217 9295 | M: 0434 369 981 e : [email address] | w :

show quoted sections