Pets in Rentals

Alice made this Freedom of Information request to WA Department of Commerce

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

WA Department of Commerce did not have the information requested.

Dear WA Department of Commerce,

I am trying to determine statistics on rental properties which allow pets in Western Australia.

Specifically, any data demonstrating the number of properties across Western Australia permitting pets over the last 10 years, and whether these statistics change depending on:
- the location of properties (i.e. are properties located in rural towns vs cosmopolitan cities more likely to permit pets);
- the cost of the rental (i.e. are more expensive rentals more likely or less likely to permit pets)

Would you also please be able to direct me to where I can out more information about the proposal to make the ability to rent with a pet the right of all tenants?

Yours faithfully,


CP Call Centre,

8 Attachments

Dear Alice,  


Thank you for contacting Consumer Protection at the Department of Mines,
Industry Regulation and Safety.


Consumer Protection administers the Residential Tenancies Act 1987 (RTA)
and can provide general information to agents, lessors and tenants in
relation to residential tenancy.


The statistical information you are seeking may not be kept by the
Department, for various reasons. Immediately relevant to your enquiry is
that not all Lessors or Agents appointed by the Lessor charge a Pet Bond,
one of the ways that this information could be obtained.

Additionally; the option to keep a pet is not a check box on the
prescribed rental agreement ([1]Form 1AA), but by mutual agreement.
Further; there are variations to the prescribed rental agreement that have
been used by the Real Estate Institute of Western Australia (REIWA) and
some non-affiliated agencies. Additionally, none of the rental agreements
are retained by Consumer Protection, they are the property of the tenant
and the other party forming the agreement, Agent or Lessor.


Therefore; you may wish to contact the Australian Bureau of Statistics on
1300 135 070 or visiting their website at [2] .


Should you have any further queries you are welcome to contact the
Consumer Protection Contact Centre on 1300 304 054, Monday - Wednesday and
Friday, 8.30am - 5:00pm and 9:00am - 5:00pm Thursday or visit our website
at [3]


Kind regards,


[4]cid:image007.jpg@01D4BC9C.2B53CFA0 Contact Centre | Consumer Protection

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Level 2, Gordon Stephenson House, 140 William Street, Perth WA 6000

Locked Bag 100, EAST PERTH WA 6892

Tel: 1300 30 40 54

[5][email address] | [6]
[7]cid:image008.jpg@01D53D4D.452386F0 [8]Subscribe to Consumer Protection media statements/public



We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as
the Traditional Custodians of this land on which we deliver our
services. We pay our respects to elders and leaders past, present
and emerging..









show quoted sections