Dear National Disability Insurance Agency,
Please provide a copy of the NDIA’s Risk Assessment for the Independent Assessment (IA) Pilot and ongoing business process. That is, the project, process, activity and impact risk assessment specific to IA and the specific terms of reference, policies and technical tools used to assess all aspects of ‘risk’. These elements of risk and ‘duty of care’ appear unresolved as of late, as discussed during Senate Committee on 4 Jun 21 
It has been reported there are ‘ongoing risks’  associated with the NDIA’s Independent Assessments  introducing change, which seems to contain known and unknown variance, risk, harm and uncertainty . Noting the NDIA’s risk management obligations  and the Department of Finance’s policy on risk management , the management of this ‘emerging risk’  would seem to require specific project management oversight , including the assessment of risk . Notwithstanding the standard PGPA risk and fraud obligations , as reinforced in The Australian Public Service Commissioner’s  legislative instrument.
Thank you for your assistance.
1. Sydney Morning Herald (2021) Secret NDIS report warns of backlash unless government is ‘seen’ to have listened. Available at: < https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/... >. Accessed [9 Jun 21]
2. SBS (2021) Linda Reynolds defends controversial leaked NDIS Independent Assessment marketing strategy, dated 4 Jun 21. Available at: < https://www.sbs.com.au/news/linda-reynol... > . Accessed [9 Jun 21]
3. Sadler, D. (2021) NDIS ‘gobo-plans’ test algorithmic transparency, InnovationAus, data 3 Jun 21. Available at: < https://www.innovationaus.com/ndis-robo-... > . Accessed [9 Jun 21]
4. Parliament of Australia (2021) Official Recording of Senate Committee Proceedings from The Australian Parliament: Community Affairs [Part 2], dated 4 Jun 21 at 13:55. Available at: < https://parlview.aph.gov.au/mediaPlayer.... > . Accessed [9 Jun 21]
5. Australian Government (2013) National Disability Insurance Scheme— Risk Management Rules 2013: Legislative Instrument. Available at: < https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F...>. Accessed [8 Jun 21]
6. Department of Finance (2014) Commonwealth Risk Management Policy, Available at: < https://www.finance.gov.au/government/co... >. Accessed [9 Jun 21]
7. NDIS (2021) Personalised Budgets: Proposal for a new NDIS budget model, Technical Information Paper, Version 1.0, dated June 2021, Available at: <https://www.ndis.gov.au/about-us/improvi...>. Accessed [9 Jun 21]
8. ANAO (2018) Corporate Planning in The Australian Public Sec tor 2017-18, The Auditor-General, ANAO Report No.36 2017-18 Performance Audit. Available at: <https://www.anao.gov.au/sites/default/fi...>. Accessed [9 Jun 21]
9. BS EN 62198:2014 Managing risks in projects
10. Australian Government (2013) Public Governance, Performance and Accountability, Sections 16, 18 and 102, Compilation No.4. Available at: < https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C... > . Accessed [9 Jun 21]
11. Australian Government (2016) Australian Public Service Commissioner’s Directions 2016, Compilation No.1. Available at: <https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F... > . Accessed [9 Jun 21]
Thank you for contacting the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA).
Freedom of Information
If your message is a request for access to documents under the
Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act), we will acknowledge it within
14-days of receipt. We may be in touch with you sooner if your request is
too large or vague.
We are committed to processing all requests as quickly as possible. We
will keep in regular contact with you, especially if there's any delay in
making a decision.
Further information about FOI is available on our website:
Please contact us at [NDIA request email] if you have any questions or
Participant Information Access
If you are an NDIS participant and you are seeking access to your own
personal information, you can make a request online under our Participant
Information Access (PIA) process.
To make a request, please complete our online request form:
Please contact us at [email address] if you have any
questions or require help.
If your message is for something else, you should direct it to
If your message is received outside our business hours of 9am to 5pm
(AEST), Monday to Friday or on a public holiday, we will action it on the
next business day.
If your message is urgent, you can call our National Conact Centre on 1800
NDIA FOI Team
Email: [email address]
2. mailto:[NDIA request email]
4. mailto:[email address]
5. mailto:[email address]
6. mailto:[email address]