How do I escalate an issue when the Opal Card group will not respond.

David Kelly made this Government Information (Public Access) request to NSW Ombudsman

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was partially successful.

Dear NSW Ombudsman,

How do I escalate an issue when the Opal Card group will not respond. I have an issue when I was overcharged because the driver switched off the system so he could go for a smoke. Also how do I find out if it is legal for Opal Card to charge an $8 default fare when the maximum fare is $4. If it is not Opal owed several million $ to its customers.

Yours faithfully,

David Kelly

NSW Ombudsman


Thank you for your email. It has been forwarded to an appropriate person
for action. If your email was a complaint, it will be registered and
assessed along with the other complaints that we receive today. Please
allow up to 10 business days for us to contact you. If you don’t hear from
us within this time please call our inquiry line on 9286 1000 or
1800-451-524 (outside the Sydney Metro).

Emma Lambert, NSW Ombudsman

1 Attachment

For Official Use Only

Our reference: E/2019/9274


Dear David


I refer to your below enquiry.


I note the subject line of your email refers to a Government Information
(Public Access) request, however, it appears you are actually seeking
information about how to escalate a complaint about Opal. I have addressed
this enquiry below.


The NSW Ombudsman can investigate most administrative conduct of state and
local government authorities. If you have lodged a complaint with Opal and
are dissatisfied with the response you have received, you are welcome to
submit a complaint to the NSW Ombudsman. You can do this via our online
complaint form at:
[1] or by emailing
the details to [2][NSW Ombudsman request email]


If you send us an email please attach relevant documentation and address
the following questions:  


o Which NSW government agency or person are you complaining about?
o What did they do that was wrong, and where and when did they do it?
o Have you complained to the agency involved?
o What happened after you complained to the agency?
o What do you want to happen for your complaint to be resolved?


We would then decide if we need to make inquiries about your complaint.


If you would like to discuss your complaint you are welcome to call our
inquiries service between 9am and 4pm on Monday to Friday, on (02) 9286
1000 or toll free on 1800 451 524. Our website [3] also
explains more about the work we do.  


I hope you find this information helpful.


Yours sincerely


Emma Lambert

Acting Senior Inquiry & Assessment Officer | Public Administration
Division | NSW Ombudsman
Level 24, 580 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000
P 02 9286 1000 | F 02 9283 2911 | E [4][NSW Ombudsman request email]
W [5]

P Please consider the environment before printing this correspondence.

[6]Description: Description: Ombudsman_logo_email



show quoted sections