Can you charge interest on unpaid rent arears

njr made this Right to Information request to Queensland Residential Tenancies Authority

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Dear Queensland Residential Tenancies Authority,

Can a landlord charge interest on rent payments that are overdue or other monies owed by the tenant to the landlord

Yours faithfully,


RTA Enquiries, Queensland Residential Tenancies Authority

Dear Customer 

Thank you for your enquiry regarding a landlord's option to charge
interest on rent owing.

There is no mention of the option for a landlord to charge interest on
outstanding rent from a tenant in the Residential Tenancies and Rooming
Accommodation Act 2008 (the Act).

If a landlord wished to pursue interest on outstanding rent he may
consider seeking an order from the Queensland Civil and Administrative
Tribunal and the matter will be determined by an adjudicator.

Kind regards

Mandi Lewis | Support Officer | Support | Customer Experience
Residential Tenancies Authority | Level 23, 179 Turbot St | GPO Box 390
Brisbane Q 4001
t 1300 366 311 | [1]

This information is for general guidance only. It is not legal advice. The
RTA cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information
provided. For more information refer to Residential Tenancies and Rooming
Accommodation Act 2008.

show quoted sections