Investigation into the Victorian police's alleged mishandling of sex abuse claims

Nikolina made this Freedom of Information request to Victorian Ombudsman

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Response to this request is long overdue. By law, under all circumstances, Victorian Ombudsman should have responded by now (details). You can complain by requesting an internal review.

Dear Victorian Ombudsman,

I am a journalism student from Macleay College seeking access to documents under the Commonwealth Freedom of Information Act 1982. I would like to request the documentation concerning the investigation into the Victorian police’s alleged mishandling of child sex abuse claims. The documents I am seeking span from the beginning of the investigation in June 2002 to 2005.

Yours faithfully,
Nikolina Matijevic

Victorian Ombudsman

This is an automatic reply to your email to confirm its receipt on


The officer dealing with your complaint will contact you within 10 days,
unless we have previously informed you otherwise.

If you have not done so already, could you please email your contact
telephone number(s), as well as your postcode.


Please include your Case Number in the subject line of your e-mail.
Your email will be allocated to your case officer or their manager.
They will contact you if they need more information.


We do not usually respond to correspondence that is addressed to someone
else and cc’ed to the Ombudsman. Please contact us direct if you want us to
act on your email.


Further information on the service provided by the Victorian Ombudsman’s
office can be found in our Service Delivery Charter at

Locutus Sum left an annotation ()

It must be clear in the first sentence of the application that the request cannot succeed. It is a request to an agency of the State of Victoria not to an agency of the Commonwealth of Australia. An agency of the State of Victoria is not subject to the Commonwealth Freedom of Information Act.

Maybe the agency will be kind and behave as if the application is under the Freedom of Information Act (Vic) 1982 but maybe not. Also, an application under the Commonwealth Freedom of Information Act is costless but for an application in the State of Victoria, you must pay a fee and an application is not valid until the fee is paid.

I suggest you to telephone the agency and ask how you can pay the fee by credit card. Then you can get a receipt number and you can send again your application (using this same request page in Right to Know) and you can tell the agency (Victorian Ombudsman) that your request is under the Freedom of Information Act (Vic) and that you have paid the fee.