Are Centrelink application forms legal documents.

Sam made this Freedom of Information request to Services Australia

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was refused by Services Australia.

Dear Department of Human Services,

Please settle the question regarding Aged Pension application and Income and assets test forms that are composed of internal boxed sections and the inducement to fill in those forms in all capitals [BLOCK LETTERS] and further to induce the applicant to place a signature in a box. The application forms are defective as this equates to signing a blank piece of paper pursuant to the application of the legal principle defined as the "Four corners rule".

That your Department Officer [Secretary] produce proof that the application forms are legal documents by proving that the four corners rule is of no legal effect and that the law supports the notion of conscripting someone to fill in the forms or be denied payment...

That your Department Secretary also provide an extract and/or copy of the Law that supports forced submission of these application forms before payments are made...

Regards Sam,


1 Attachment

Dear Sam


Please find attached correspondence in relation to your Freedom of
Information request.


Kind regards



Freedom of Information Team

Employment Law and Freedom of Information Branch | Legal Services Division

Department of Human Services

[1][email address]

show quoted sections


IMPORTANT: This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient only and
may contain information that is confidential, commercially valuable and/or
subject to legal or parliamentary privilege. If you are not the intended
recipient you are notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
this information is prohibited and may result in severe penalties. If you
have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately
and delete all electronic and hard copies of this transmission together
with any attachments. Please consider the environment before printing this


Visible links
1. mailto:[email address]

Stephanie Johnson left an annotation ()

Hi Sam,

I'm a user of this site, and want to help you out.

Section 11 of the Social Security (Administration) Act 1999, which can be found at says a person who wants a social security payment must make a claim for it "in accordance with this Division".

Section 16 of that same Act says the claim must be in writing and on the form approved by the Secretary, or in such other way as the Secretary decides.

Hope that helps.

Good luck